In order to further my career as a Network Professional. I need to show proof of my ever growing skill sets. Getting certified shows good proof. This is a goal that has been rolled over, so I’m still committed to this goal. I will need to study for at least 120 hours before I take each exam. I need to pass all three (SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT), in order to be certified.
2. Become a BJJ World Champion
This is my main goal when I compete in BJJ. I’m mainly competing at the major tournaments this year. I learned a lot last year about the competition and myself. I have another crack at the big tournaments as a Blue Belt, so I have to take advantage of my strength and experience. Once again, this is goal that is rolled over, because I’m committed to getting there. I will train at least 4 days a week, which will be a combination of BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, and drilling on the grappling dummy. The powerlifting training will be cross training, and strength and conditioning for the tournaments.
3. Become a BJJ Purple Belt
This is totally based on my instructor grading me on this. I’m up to three stripes now, so I’m getting close. At this point, I just have to stay committed and be consistent. I will need to show up to class at least 2-3 times a week to show commitment and consistency.
4. Become a Powerlifting World Champion
I plan on doing at least two powerlifting competitions at the USPA meets. It looks like the California State Championships in March and then if I qualify, the IPL Worlds in November. I checked out the numbers for me to get to and I feel that they are verify doable at my current strength levels. I’m only doing RAW meets at 275lbs. I will be training at least 4 days a week. I will squat at least twice a week, deadlift once again, and bench once a week. Also, I will be doing plyometrics for at least twice a week.
5. Drop to 275lbs
This brings up to this goal. If I want to compete at 275lbs, I have to drop weight. I have less than 18lbs to go and I have 12 weeks to make this happen. This will be the first goal that I have to reach within the year. I need to lose at least 1.5lbs (Burn 5250 Calories) per week. Pretty much I will work on my eating habits and being more active.
6. Break a World Record in Powerlifting
If I’m going for the World Championship, then I must also break some records along the way. So far, I think I can break the Total and Squat record for the 275lbs Open Raw Division in the IPL.
7. Improve Upon My Takedowns
In 2013, I pulled guard in about 95% of my matches. The other 5%, my opponents pulled guard. I almost got my first takedown of the year at the SJJIF Worlds, but my head was out of position and I got guillotined. I’m committed to doing Judo and/or Wrestling, once or twice a week. To commit to remembering and practicing the moves, I will compete at least one or two Judo tournaments.
8. Write An Article Once A Month
I think it’s important for me to share knowledge and I would like to branch out my website by doing this.
9. Take Videos of My Training and/or Competition Once A Month
I would like to see myself in training and competition to see exactly what I’m doing right and wrong. It wouldn’t hurt to get some criticism from others, if anyone has something to say about my technique.
10. Host One Charity Event Within The Year
I hosted three Charity events in 2013, two of which was to help out my family and myself and the other for the victims of the typhoon in the Philippines. In 2014, I would like to host one to raise money and food for the homeless in LA. I would like to help out the people in need domestically and I think that’s a good start right there.
Once again, the goals are set pretty high. I have a better baseline and attainable goals this time around. Also, my plan and course of action is improved upon based on the success and failures of 2013. I will integrate the SMART goals method into my goals for 2014, so I can have a better chance at achieving my goals. 2014 will be the year of the Big Filipino!!!
Given below is a link about a small article about studies being done on MBA students from Harvard Business School about goal setting.